I had a go at setting up everything from scratch. In the BlueBoard aux1 I had a footswitchand in aux2 I had a volume pedal.
In order to calibrate the footswitch I had to hold the switch down and press OK for the MINIMUM value and release the footswitch for the MAXIMUM value. I could not convince the BlueBoard app to work the other way round no matter how I calibrated, so my rules will assume that. The footpedal however was calibrated so that the toedown was maximum and the heeldown was minimum. I also noticed there is quite a bit of delay using an aux switch compared to an inbuilt button. Almost too much delay for my tastes. Nevertheless I persevered.
In the BlueBoard app I configured it to send CC 0 to 4 for the buttons and 10 + 11 for the aux.
I then switched to MidiBridge and connected BlueBoard in to MidiBridge.
Finally, I switched to DM1 and loaded up a kit. I then selected SONG and MIDI made sure 'MIDI ON' was showing, that MIDI channel was set to 1 and that MidiBridge was selected for input.
I figured out the hex codes that triggered the DM1 sounds. Here are the hex codes for each cell
KICK 24 SNARE 26 RIMSHOT 25 HHCLOSED 2A CLAP 27 HHOPEN 2E CYMBAL 31 TOM 2B COWBELL 38
These can be changed using DM1's MIDI learn feature, but these were the defaults as far as I can tell.
Finally the Stream Byter rules which I applied to the BlueBoard Port
It indeed worked for me! And it INDEED has a delay that is nearly unworkable. I get a better response from the aux 2 than the aux 1, weirdly. Thanks for building that up. I was able to make it work almost interchangeably with other apps, ie. nanostudio and others.
So great. but man, that latency KILLS me. Soooooo close to something that would work.
But upon further examination, it seems like a calibration issue, the note consistently fires off at the lowest point registered. But that moment - due to calibration - doesn't happen until the end of the switch press. How could that be adjusted? Is that a BB app thing or ??
Yes, the aux port is designed for an expression pedal, so it is constantly measuring the resistance on the phone jack. The delay is something to do with detecting that the resistance is high enough to trigger a zero. I monitored the MIDI messages it sends and even with a footswitch you get multiples as the switch closes so you can't program MidiBridge to be more forgiving with the on/off ranges because you'll get loads of retriggers.
I think essentially using the aux port with a footswitch is probably not what the designer had in mind...
Thanks for your detailed instructions here and on other threads. I'm also trying to use BB to play midi notes in DM1 . I followed your above instructions but without success. All I know about midi programming I learnt in the last week reading your posts! Beginning to see how the bytes slot together. Since I just copied and pasted your rule, I'm presuming that I've gone wrong on the BB side of things. So could you tell me exactly, do I need to set my BB to PR or CC mode, and what bank/CC/button do I need to be using? As you can see, I don't have a particularly strong grasp on some of this.
The BB needs to be in controller mode and make sure that the controller numbers being used match those in the picture above (ie. 000, 001, 002 and 003) for the switches. This is necessary to match the rules I posted.
Also make sure that the rules you paste go into the Stream Byter on the *left* BB port in MidiBridge. That may not be clear from my instructions now I read them.
Other things to check are that the BB app, MidiBridge and DM1 setups match the pictures I posted exactly.
If still no luck, maybe you could post (or email if you prefer) screenshots of your setup of the same app pages as above and I will check them for you. In particular make sure that DM1 has MidiBridge selected as input with NOTES/TEMPO highlighted as per my screenshot.
Hi Nic, Thanks for your reply. For some reason, when I fired it up again today, after re copying and pasting your rules, it went like clockwork! I must have miscopied it last time. so much for idiot proof! thanks once again! one follow up question: next on my to do list would be to trigger audio files that I have created. can you recommend an app, and suggest some rules to implement?
btw I emailed IK multimedia recently also asking about triggering midi notes with the BB - got the reply this morning saying the BB is not capable... made me laugh after hearing your wizardry put to work - maybe you could offer them some kind of implementation deal?
Not sure why it worked for you this time round, but if it did, I'm not complaining!
Triggering audio files - The only app like that that I have played with to get working for a customer is Sample Lab. Although not 100% sure, I think you can load in your own sounds into it. More info on how to map things to Sample Lab is in this thread.
I'm reasonably sure that BeatMaker 2 and ThumbJam would also fit the bill, but have never tried loading in my own samples.
As for IK - I do know they recommended MidiBridge to help with SampleTank before its MIDI was improved, but I suspect they don't know that it can be used to make their BB more useful!
Thanks for the info on apps. FYI Whilst exploring I figured out DM1 allows you to import your own samples (in a variety of ways-mic, iTunes, Dropbox and more). you just go to kit (eg. tr808), then create new kit. so no further assistance needed.